Health benefits of L-glutamine, as it is sometimes called, are known primarily by athletes, who use the supplement to promote muscle growth and promote faster recovery after training. However, there are a number of other health benefits of L-glutamine.
5 Health Benefits of L-glutamine
1. Glutamine is a known brain fuel and supplementing one’s diet with more glutamine can have a variety of positive effects on the brain. It has been used in depression and mood disorder treatments in lieu of drugs.
While glutamine can improve brain functions, it also removes ammonia by-products from the area, improves IQ, stabilizes brain impulses and promotes the healing of tissues.
2. It is one of the most popular muscle building supplements. It promotes absorption of protein by the body and helps to build muscle. It can also protect the immune system from stress that can come from overtraining.
3. L-Glutamine fuels the cells lining the intestines and makes it easier for the body to absorb nutrients. It is one of the best natural ways to treat diarrhea and poor digestion. There is even some evidence that l-glutamine supplementation may help to heal stomach ulcers.
4. L-glutamine is protective. Damage to liver tissue, caused by the use of certain medications, such as acetaminophen, or chemotherapy can be reduced through a glutamine supplement.
Blood sugar levels are also maintained more easily. Cartilage damaged by age-related joint degeneration can be repaired (to some extent), fending off the effects of arthritis, and providing more energy to deal with the disease on a daily basis.
5. During times of extreme stress to the body, such as surgery, cancer or other trauma, the health benefits of l-glutamine are important in the recovery process. Though the body produces glutamine on its own, during these times it may not be able to adequately cover its own needs.
Muscles will begin to release the glutamine stored in them and if the proper amount is not replaced, they will begin to waste away. While chemotherapy destroys cancer cells, it also harms healthy ones. Glutamine can lessen this damage.
Glutamine provides a number of health benefits throughout the body. While some may be relatively minor, such as providing extra energy and focus to get through the day, l-glutamine benefits the body by moderating the impact of serious diseases and body traumas. Read more articles on the health benefits of l-glutamine.